Wednesday 4 May 2016

How I've discovered the perfect work life balance

I'm excited and proud to say that I will be competing in this year’s IRONMAN Wimbleball 70.3 on 26 June. The event will be the culmination of my many months of hard work and training for 14 hours a week, at unsociable hours. 

The motivation behind all this exertion is my quest for the much vaunted work-life balance, the journey and experience by extending each day with quality training.

Throughout my career I’ve found that many business owners struggle to achieve this balance. Last summer, a survey found that a quarter of small business owners have fallen ill due to stress and overwork.

But the effects of overworking can extend beyond physical illness according to mental health charity Mind. One in four people experience a mental illness every year – and business owners are not exempt. This is why I urge my fellow business owners and employees to get active!

After working flat out for over 30 years, something had to change. I tried many things but exercise has really opened my mind. It’s reduced my stress levels massively and added a new dynamic to my life; I have extended my day and it’s helped me on the next phase of growing my business.

As well as being fitter than I’ve ever been before, I’m enjoying the benefits of a saner work life balance. Exercise also focuses my mind on wider health issues and, as a result of this, I’m focused on my nutrition and am wheat free.

I also encourage and include all the people at redheadPR in my fitness quest...which I’m sure they secretly love ;)

Mental wellbeing means feeling good about yourself and about the world around you. It means being able to live life on your terms. And there’s compelling evidence within the NHS that mental wellbeing is linked to a physically active lifestyle. Scientists believe exercise can help people with mild depression and that it helps protect people against anxiety. This is because physical activity is thought to cause chemical changes in the brain, which can improve our mood. This enhanced wellbeing brings about greater self-esteem, better self-control and the motivation to rise to a challenge.


Get in touch if you want to find out more about my training and workout regime. Drop me a message on LinkedIn or Tweet me.

No comments:

Post a Comment